MichaelShakesDotCom

Friday, September 24, 2004

Native American/ American Indian?

Richard recently posted a comment about my thoughts on using Native American, or American Indian as a label for myself; as in this article that he commented on that's about this very same issue.

Until he mentioned this I've never given it much thought. I always labeled myself as Native American because that is what I am (Native to America). I think that I have said American Indian before because of the Indian part of it, just so people know I am an Indian.

I think that I would liked to be labeled a "Native American Tlingit Indian" because I am Tlingit, I am Native to America, and my Tribe is Tlingit, and I am Indian. That would be fine by me. Then again I am part of the "Raven Clan" as well. So maybe I should consider "Native American Tlingit Indian from the Raven Clan" as my label. This too would be fine. Or if I had to choose with one or the other, I would have to say Native American.

But you can call me Kaat-Yaah.

How does everyone else feel about these labels?
Let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home