MichaelShakesDotCom

Friday, November 04, 2005

Ben Folds...

Well, let me just tell you that going to a Ben Folds concert is "Off the hook!" And this is where our story begins…

Sarah hears about this restaurant called "Chovy's" (A nice Casual Italian joint) in Meadville. She's been wanting to go for a while now, so we leave early enough to get something to eat there before we go to the show (I just got some good old fashion Italian Pizza and she gets this spaghetti/linguini tasting pasta. Both were very good). We really couldn't finish the whole thing, because, 1) It was a lot of food and 2) See below...

We enter Chovy’s (The place wasn't that busy), the waitress starts walking us to our seats… and all of the sudden... we pass… BEN FOLDS!!!… on the right of us, sitting with his feature bassist Jared Reynolds and drummer Lindsay Jamieson. Sarah walks by first and does a double take and then I walk by and do a triple take. I nudge Sarah seconds later and she just turns around and whispers, "I Know!" So the waitress sits us like, 30 feet away and we keep turning our heads for like ten minutes straight (Trying not to do it so much that they start to notice).

I continue to ask Sarah to let me know when they are getting up to leave (So I could run over and talk to them and ask for a picture. I didn't want to bother them while they ate), she finally said, "There paying... there getting up!"... I stand up, walk quickly over and say, "Hi, Ben? Ben Folds?" He say's, "Yes, how are you?" I quickly introduce myself, tell them that we are in town to see their show and ask if we could get a quick picture. He kindly says, "Sure, no problem." I motion for Sarah to come on over (She was patiently waiting for the signal). The bassist say's, "Yeah, that would be great, I can take it for you." (The Bassist and Drummer have this awesome English accent). Since we were standing like in the middle of the walkway they say, "Why don't we go to the front so we won't be in anyone's way?" I agree and we walk up front.

Jared (Bassist) say's, "Hey, cool... why don't you all sit on the bench (Picture below)? We sit down and Ben (Folds) says, "Let's sit straight up and take a real serious shot?" (He is a funny guy, and Jared and Lindsay were both very nice too) But by the time we sat down, we just couldn't stop smiling (As you can see, Ben was the only serious looking one). We all got up and Sarah and I thanked them very much for their time. We shook hands (For the second time. Hello/Goodbye), told them to have a good show and we would see them there. They all said “Thanks”, shook hands once more and said, “See ya”, and we went back in to try and finish our meal. THIS WAS A VERY AWESOME EXPERIENCE!!!!

We get to the auditorium, get our tickets and find some of the better seats (It was first come first serve) in the auditorium with Paul, Tom and Caley and waited for the show to begin. We ended up with some good seats but when things were just about to start, they said if anyone wants to come up to the front of the stage, we were all welcome (Just no Mosh Pitting!). Immediately 100 kids ran down to the front. We stayed where we were, seeing how we had pretty good seats to begin with and let everyone else cram up front (No Problem, we were good).

Ben Folds had an opening band that we had never heard before... their name was "The Fray". They ended up being a very good band (They kind of sounded like Maroon 5, and the singer had a hint of David Grey’s voice... sort of). They were pretty darn good though. They played for about 45 minutes and then came out in front of the auditorium to sign some autographs. I went out to buy one of their CD's and tried to get a picture of them close up (They signed with EPIC records, so I don’t think that they’re doing THAT bad at all). I bought a CD, they signed it and while I took a picture of them signing it, they asked if I wanted a picture with them. I said that would be great... and if they become more famous in the near future (Which I'm sure they will), I will have an autographed CD and my picture taken with them.

I go back in and sit down and just as I do... the lights dim and Ben Folds comes out. Let me just tell you... Ben Folds puts on one of the best shows I have ever seen! He is hilarious too! They played like 7 songs straight... stopped to act crazy... played another 5 songs... stoped to talk a bit and make up a few songs on the spot (Friggin Hilarious stuff)... and played another 20 songs the rest of the time with intermediate babbling in between (They played a lot of songs)... and then they ended the show once, came back out for an encore and had us all take part in their last song by teaching us the chorus (It was more like... aahhhhAAAAHHHHH for the chorus). He ends the song by conducting everyone in the audience to sing the chorus up and down and all around while standing on top of his piano (It was truly an experience we will never forget)!

We had a great time, and meeting Ben Folds at Chovy's before the show just topped it ALL off!

I highly recommend everyone (If you get the chance) to go and see one of Ben Folds shows. You will love it! Ben has one of the best voices you will ever hear and his shows are VERY fun… and are VERY entertaining!

And now, I leave you now with...

It's Friday... again. Hi Five, do the shimmy shimmy shake! Talk to you all later. If not Sunday night, I will let you know on Monday how our Canada trip was.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!

6 Comments:

  • Oh cmon! Thats just an Allegheny College student. He also posed as the ghost in my basement. Tell Marcus I said hi.

    Actually you suck and Im angry and this is my retalliation.

    I mean, congrats.

    writen & directed by Blogger Tam, at around 8:48 AM  

  • Cool photo. Isn't digital wonderful? So what size will you be printing, framing and hanging in a special place in your home?

    writen & directed by Blogger Stephanie, at around 12:57 PM  

  • Tam - Marcus says hi, and so does Ben Folds. I tricked you with my Thursday’s Friday thing. Sorry about that.

    Richard - Chovy's is a very good place to eat, especially when Ben Folds is there. He is such a funny guy. We both were saying that everyone is going to think he is pissed off or something. Oh Ben...

    Eden - I will be placing this picture in the computer room, because the way Sarah decorates, it wouldn't go with the rest of the house. I don't know what I was thinking, not having Digital for as long as I did.

    writen & directed by Blogger Mo-Pie, at around 3:02 PM  

  • that's fantastic! you lucky bastard. :) i am very happy for you. ben folds rules!

    writen & directed by Blogger Sizzle, at around 6:42 PM  

  • Sizzle - He throw's a kick ass Concert!

    writen & directed by Blogger Mo-Pie, at around 10:31 PM  

  • Can you help me out with adding flickr to my blog? I have an account I started this morning but can't figure out how to link it. I'm not that literate as of yet. Thanks, Mike. untamed4596@hotmail.com

    writen & directed by Blogger Tam, at around 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home